mandag den 18. januar 2016

The Martian af Andy Weir



Title: The Martian
Format: Audible - audiobook
Read by: R.C. Bray
Writer: Andy Weir

Rating: 4,5/5

Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.
After a dust storm nearly kills him, and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive - and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive.
Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.
But Mark is not ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engierring skills - and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit - he steadfastly confrnts one seemengly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?

I LOVED this book! The story, the format, the narrator... You name it! I had some trouble with the format for the first 15-20 minutes orso, as I had gotten used to hearing Matt Damon (When we are on the subject Matt Damon, watch THIS. Love it!) beeing the voice of Mark Watney. 

Considering the fact that I had seen the movie before I actually read/listened to the book, did so that the book itself didn't bring on that many suprises. The story is quite similar, though the movie is a bit more friendly to the big screen. 
The boo though. There are SO many details. Everything is explained. There is so much science talk, This is REAL science fiction - and one of the best I have ever read in this genre. Now, this might sound a bit dull, but for a book like this, It is perfect! 

Yes - sure - I am pretty confident there is many, and major, flaws in the science, and how he got eveyrthign to work - buuut... It felt real. It really did.
The way the book swapped between Watney, the crew, NASA, helpers and the log entries worked wonder for this one! (Again.. Only thing I actually missed about it, is... Matt Damons voice. Mhm.. He got a nice voice;))

The only reason I didn't up it to 5 stars here (Though I did so on Goodreads) is the ending. It felt a little unfinished. Here I must say I did like the movies ending better, though.. No, I'm not sure, it just didn't feel right. No idea how I would have wanted it to end though. Basically, it just wrapped it up a little bit too fast for my taste!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...